Saturday, November 24, 2007

How much is too much?


I have often been told that I tell too much, and that I share too much of myself. It is possible that many people who have told me this meant that I talk too much as well. My mother, friends, and even my husband have instructed me to keep things closer to my chest. Certainly, these comments are meant to protect me.

Recently I shared with a friend and co-worker that I have noticed that it has become commonplace, dramatic, popular and in some instances expected for us to share the horrors of our pasts when they include things such as abuses, addictions, alternate lifestyle choices and other high profile and currently socially acceptable sins -- especially if these things were committed against us, out our control, or if enough time has past since the occurrence to assure the listeners of some semblance of cleansing.


I then shared my insight that we don't appear to be as comfortable sharing our recent errors, or sins that would incur less dramatic impact on our audiences such as; lying, deceit, lust, greed, manipulation, and selfishness. We have tended to be comfortable sharing the larger ticket items since they can be easily seen as being outside of ourselves. Alcoholism, drug addiction and the like are all things that are seen as diseases, demons, and such that we have no real control over them. We didn't 'do' or 'commit' them as much as they were done to us. Therefore we can incur some pity, some form of social acceptance as these were things committed against us...not by us. Yet the lesser sins, are harder to twist into social acceptance. I wonder how much impact would be had by someone confessing their sins of lying, manipulation, lust, etc.? What would come of someone honestly confessing the devestation that befell everyone around them for their 'little' discrepencies.

My friends response was that it benefits no one for someone to share so much or to be so honest with either their past, their present or their internal conflicts.

He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity (Pr. 21:23)

Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise; When he closes his lips, he is considered prudent. (Pr. 17:28)

Maybe my friend is correct? But let's not tell her......

No comments: